Stevensville School District
NONINSTRUCTIONAL OPERATIONS 8460
Naming School District Facilities
Recognizing that the name for a school building, facility, or ground or field reflects on its public image, the Board’s primary consideration will be to select a name that enhances the credibility and stature of the school or facility. In selecting a name, the Board will give higher preference to names that have a special significance to the area or to the people who have made a significant contribution to education or to the school or the school system.
The naming of a school or facility shall take place in the following manner:
- The Superintendent shall select a committee of, whose purpose it shall be to submit to the Board a list of not less than three, nor more than five, names for the new school or facility. The list shall briefly state, along with each name, why the committee nominated each name. The committee may solicit nominations from students and the community.
- The committee shall, whenever possible, follow these guidelines:
- Each name shall be known to, and significant to, the people of the district.
- The names submitted shall not conflict with the names of other schools or facilities in the district or surrounding districts.
- The use of names of living persons shall be avoided unless the circumstances warrant an exception.
- Major facilities (non-buildings), such as athletic complexes, are eligible to be named according to the following guidelines:
- The name should be easily identifiable with the facility;
- The name should not conflict with similar names of other facilities within the district or surrounding school districts; and
- In selecting a name of a person, the Board will give higher preference to persons who have made a significant contribution to education within the district.
- The Board shall make the final selection of the new school or facility from the list. All names submitted may be rejected, if, in the opinion of the Board, the use of the name would not reflect the ideals and philosophy of the school district.
- In recognition of the efforts of those involved in the project, a plaque containing the following information shall be attached to a new building or facility:
- School or facility name;
- Board-approved construction date;
- Completion or dedication date;
- Name of Board members as of the board-approved construction date in the following order:
- Members (alphabetically)
- Superintendent as of board-approved construction date; and
- Architect and contractor names.
- Once a building or facility has been named, that name will remain with the building or facility unless changed by the Board.
Adopted on: Sept. 13, 2016
Reviewed on: Aug. 9, 2016