Stevensville School District
THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES 1210
Qualifications, Terms, and Duties of Board Officers
The Board officers are the Chairperson and Vice Chairperson. These officers are elected at the annual organizational meeting.
The Chairperson may be any trustee of the board, including an additional trustee as provided for in 20-3-352(2). If an additional trustee is chosen to serve as the Chairperson of an elementary district described in 20-3-351(1)(a), the additional trustee may not vote on issues pertaining only to the elementary district. The duties of the Chairperson include the following:
- Preside at all meetings and conduct meetings in the manner prescribed by the Board’s policies;
- Make all Board committee appointments;
- Sign all papers and documents as required by law and as authorized by action of the Board;
- Close Board meetings as authorized by Montana law; and
- Act as spokesperson for the Board.
The Chairperson is permitted to participate in all Board meetings in a manner equal to all other Board members, including the right to participate in debate and to vote. The Chairperson may not make a motion, but may second motions.
The Vice Chairperson shall preside at all Board meetings in the absence of the Chairperson and shall perform all the duties of the Chairperson during the Chairperson’s absence or unavailability. The Vice Chairperson shall work closely with the Chairperson and shall assume whatever duties the Chairperson may delegate.
Cross Reference Policy 1120 Annual Organizational Meeting
Legal References: § 2-3-203, MCA Meetings of public agencies and certain associations of public agencies to be open to public – exceptions
- 20-3-321(2), MCA Organization and officers
- 20-3-351(1)(a), MCA Number of trustee positions in high school districts
- 20-3-352(2), MCA Request and determination of number of high school district additional trustee positions – nonvoting trustee
Adopted on: Feb. 12, 2002
Reviewed on: Nov. 13, 2012
Revised on: Dec. 17, 2001; Dec. 11, 2012; March 8, 2016